Reasons for Load Balancing
- Fault Tolerance – Load Balancing offers fault tolerance incase a server fails.
- Server Upgrades – It’s easier to upgrade hardware if you can take entire machines offline without effecting user experience.
- Hardware Performance – having as few users on a single server as possible will provide users with the best experience
- Network Performance – Users can be routed to the servers that are physically closest to them
- A/B Testing – New server configurations can be tested easily
Types of Load Balancing
- Hardware – Load Balancing Hardware is networking equipment you would install in your data center to route traffic to your servers
- Built In – Many products have Load Balancing built into them such as Microsoft Active Directory
- As a Service – Companies such as Cloudflare now provide Load Balancing services for your internet connected servers.