Installing Ubuntu Server into VirtualBox gives you the ability to create a lab environment without needing multiple physical machines.
- In general I would recommend your host computer has 16GB of RAM and an SSD. 8GB of RAM, or even less, will work but you may run into issues.
- Make sure you know the hardware requirements of the server OS. Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS requires 512MB of RAM, and 2.5GB of Storage.
- The LTS stands for Long Term Support and means Canonical will support this version for 5 years.
- Connect the downloaded ISO to your Virtual Machine by going to Settings -> Storage -> Select EMPTY under Controller: IDE -> Click Circle Icon to the left side of the Optical Drive drop down box.
- Installation ISO automatically disconnects after installation.