This class will show you how to build a lab for the further MySQL classes. You will use the tasksel app to install the LAMP Stack (Linux, Apache MySQL, PHP) on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.
Note: Some people may disagree with building a LAMP server with tasksel, but for a testing lab it is the easiest most reliable way to get a functional LAMP box.
- Start with a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop (The GUI one)
- Make sure to give 4GB of RAM to the virtual machine
- update – Update the OS
- sudo apt-get install tasksel – Go to terminal and install tasksel
- sudo tasksel – Run tasksel
- Select LAMP -> Tab to OK and hit Enter
- sudo mysql – Starts MySQL and logs you in as root
- show databases; – shows default databases
- DON’T FORGET THE SEMI COLON!!!
- use mysql; – Enter mysql database
- show tables; – Shows tables in mysql database
- desc user; – Shows columns in user table
- select user from user; – Lists user field from records in user table
- exit – Exits mysql