MaaS, or Metal As A Service, is the ability to rent bare metal servers from cloud providers. You can have root access to the operating system and run the server anyway you see fit. This allows you to have more control over your configurations and setup, without having to buy servers and manage your own server room.
- Very good performance
- Ability to access GPU resources
- Ability to spec the most appropriate resources for the expected load
- No, or low, upfront cost and better tax benefits
- Single point of failure issues like any other physical box. A CPU Fan failing will take your system offline.
- Expected level of tech support may be lacking when actually required
- You have to take more effort and resources in planning for disasters/ downtime
- Hidden costs can be shockingly high