Creating a Windows FTP Server with FileZilla Server
- Level: Intermediate
- Presenter: Eli the Computer Guy
- Date Created: March 7, 2012
- Length of Class: 30 Minutes
- Useful for just about everyone!
- The student should know what FTP is, and be comfortable using an FTP client to connect to an FTP server.
Purpose of Class
- This class teaches students how to quickly and easily turn their Windows computer into a full fledged FTP server using FileZilla Server.
- Introduction (00:00)
- Overview (04:13)
- Demonstration (10:23)
- Final Thoughts (24:45)
- FTP is a specific protocol for transferring files. You need an FTP server and FTP client software to transfer files this way.
- Usually used to upload/ download files to web servers for websites.
- FileZilla Server turns any Windows computer into a full fledged FTP server. It works on XP Home as well as Server 2008.
- Eli uses FileZilla Server becasue it is easier to configure and manage then what coems with Server 2008
- FileZilla srver allows you to throttle bandwidth and control permissions for users and groups
- Any FTP client can connect to it. FileZilla, CuteFTP, Internet Explorer, or what is built into IP Cameras
- Final Thoughts
- FileZilla Server can be installed and setup in 5-10 minutes.
- Its great for numerous reasons.
- FTP uses Port 21 so make sure the Firewall has that port open or is off.