Is Cooling Important?
- Cooling is most important for servers, gaming systems and any computers that will be running hard for significant amounts of time.
- CPU’s, GPU’s and other components will automatically turn off computer if they get too hot
- Heat can cause weird issues such as freezing, random shutdowns, and things like the mouse pointer jumping around the screen.
Spec’ing Your System
- Make sure you use hardware that’s appropriate for the use case. You don’t need a 1080ti on a computer used for email.
- Systems can only cool to ambient temperature. If the room is 90 degrees it will be more difficult to keep the PC cool.
- Don’t put the computer in a closed cabinet without cooling
- Don’t put servers in closed closets without ventilation
Airflow in cases
- Make sure the case is built with good airflow
- “Cool” looking cases may compromise airflow
- Stock heatsinks are generally fine
- If overclocking you may want an upgraded heat sink and fan
- Think about fanless heat sinks for servers and always on appliances
- Liquid cooling is generally only needed for gaming.
- Make sure the case is built to handle liquid cooling
- Liquid cooling adds another point of failure