- Level: Beginner
- Presenter: Eli the Computer Guy
- Date Created: July 12, 2013
- Length of Class: 19:26
- Research Assistance:
Purpose of Class
- This class teaches students how to test the speed of their hard drive
- Hard Drives are usually the bottleneck on PC’s and Servers, but most technicians do not consider upgrading them in relation to speed.
- Even brand new computers can come with relatively slow hard drives.
- Sequential Read/ Write speed means the speed in relation to single files
- Random Read/ Write Speed means the speed in relation to numerous files
- IOPS is the amount of Input/ Output Operations per Second. This means the individual transactions that the hard drive can handle. This is generally important for the preformance of databases.
- Parkdale speed test is an easy to use/ easy to understand test, but there are numerous other ones to choose from.
Lab Setup Used in Demonstration
- The ETCG Host Computer Specs are:
- ASUS Model: CM6870US01
- 16 GB of RAM
- 120 GB Intel 330 Series SSD Hard Drive
- 1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
- i7 3.4 GHz Intel Processor