Hacking the Windows Registry
- Level: Beginner
- Presenter: Eli the Computer Guy
- Date Created: January 23, 2012
- Length of Class: 23 Minutes
- Basic knowledge of Windows system administration. (You should know how to reinstall Windows in case you kill your computer.)
Purpose of Class
- This class teaches students how to easily modify the registry to enable and disable important Windows tools and change system configurations.
- Introduction (00:00)
- Overview (02:06)
- Demonstration (09:08)
- Final Thoughts (21:15)
- The Registry contains 90% of the configuration information for Windows and installed programs
- The Registry can be easily changed using the REGEDIT tool
- For basic tasks you can “paint by numbers”. Simply do a Google search for what you are tryng to accomplish, and follow the instructions EXACTLY.
- Settings in the Registry are called KEYS
- There are different types of KEYS, but you don’t have to worry about it (Paint by Numbers)
- The Operating System will respond to new keys that you create that may not already be in the Registry.
- You can export Keys to .REG files. These are Text files that can be opened and edited in Notepad
- Double Clicking a .REG file will make the Operating System try to Import the Keys into the Registry
- You can have multiple Keys in one .REG file
- Final Thoughts…
- BE CAREFUL / READY TO REINSTALL YOUR OS! It is VERY easy to crash your computer when you are playing with core Windows Registry Keys.
- You can EXPORT/ IMPORT the entire registry to act as a Backup, BUT this may not always fix something you broke…
To enable the Task manager again either DELETE the key or change dword:00000001 to dword:00000000