Introduction to Content Management Systems
- Level: Beginner
- Presenter: Eli the Computer Guy
- Date Created: October 6, 2010
- Length of Class: 40 Minutes
Purpose of Class
- This class introduces students to the idea of Content Management Systems, what they are used for, and things to think abut when selecting one for their Web Publishing venture.
- Types of Content Management Systems
- Considerations for Choosing a Content Management System
- What are Content Management Systems
- Content Management Systems are web based software packages that allow you to publish content to the web using easy to understand graphical interfaces
- Examples = Drupal, WordPress, Joomla, DZOIC, PHPFox
- Things to Look for When You are Selecting Yours
- Active Developer Community =Are people creating NEW modules
- Payment services
- Cost and TCO (Total Cost of Ownership)
- Installation Service and Help
- Where does it come from
- Can you get help if you need it? What does support cost?
- Can you Customize the system?
- Will it grow with you?
- Free vs. Pay For vs. Hosted
- Cost And TCO
- Speed – How fast do pages load/ is content delivered?
- Do you really want to mess with maintenance?
- Final Thoughts
- Choose wisely Migration is a Bitch