Installing a Windows Operating System
- Level: Beginner
- Presenter: Eli the Computer Guy
- Length of Class: 50 Minutes
- Video Quality: Good
- Familiarity with Using Windows
Purpose of Class
This class teaches students how to install a Windows Operating System. Although we demonstrate installing Windows Vista the same steps can be used for all Windows Operating Systems.
- Configuring BIOS for Operating System Installation
- Installing an Operating System
- Installing Device Drivers
- Installing Windows Updates
- Installing an Operating System is very easy to do
- All data on the computer will deleted during the operating system installation!
- Make sure you have the right Operating System disk
- Verify that both the optical and hard drives are detected.
- Change the Boot Order so that the computer boots from the optical drive first
- Install OS
- Make sure to press a key to start the process during bootup
- Follow prompts
- Install Drivers
- Device Manager controls device drivers on Windows Operating Systems
- To get to Device Manager – Start Button -> Right Click “Computer” or “My Computer” -> Select “Manage” -> Select “Device Manager”
- Installing Updates
- Upgrade to Microsoft Update
- NEVER download driver updates!!!
- Final Thoughts…
- Installing Linux is very similar to installing Windows