Tune Up Your Windows Computer
- Level: Beginner
- Presenter: Eli the Computer Guy
- Length: 25 Minute
- Familiarity with the Windows Operating System
Purpose of Class:
This class teaches students the concepts behind tuning up their Windows computers.
- Uninstalling crapware
- Cleaning up start up programs
- Updating your software
- Defragmenting your hard drive
- Cleaning out dust and dirt from your computer
- Mac’s don’t need tune-ups
- If in doubt don’t do it!
- If you know you have a virus just reinstall the system.
- Uninstall Crapware
- Crapware – the random software that gets installed on your computer that you have no use for.
- Uninstall Toolbars
- Clean Out Startup Files
- CCleaner – is a great tool to use to help clean up your computer (www.CCleaner.com)
- Startup Folder – delete files in the startup folder
- Registry – contains settings that start programs when the computer starts up
- Don’t Delete Printer or Antivirus Software
- Clean Registry –Use CCleaner to clean the registry
- Windows Registry has no inbuilt way to clean itself.
- Install Microsoft Update – Microsoft Update allows you to update other Microsoft Programs
- Run Windows Update
- Run Other Updates
- Word Perfect / Office Suites
- Install Malware Software
- Microsoft Defender
- Free Antimalware software is better than pay for versions
- Install Antivirus Software
- Make sure other antivirus software is uninstalled first.
- Free AVG or AVAST
- Don’t use other free products
- Defragment Hard Drive
- Defraggler – Use Defraggler to defragment you hard drive (www.Defraggler.com)
- Hardware Minimum
- Windows XP 1 GB
- Windows Vista 2 GB RAM
- Windows 7 2 GB RAM